Monday 7 November 2011

Cat Channel / Cat Health and Care / All About Cats: intestinal blockage

Cat Channel / Cat Health and Care / All About Cats
Cat Channel
intestinal blockage
Nov 7th 2011, 20:19

2 days ago, after my husband and I got home from the grocery store, I found that there was a thread hooked on one of my cat's whiskers. I pulled it, and a long thread came out of his mouth. I thought I had saved him from harm's way. But since then my kitty hasn't been eating or drinking, and has been very lethargic. I took him to the vet today, and she believes that he probably ate more thread than I had found, and that it's blocking his intestines. He was running a fever and was a bit dehydrated (he had been vomiting what looked like water yesterday and this morning). So she gave him an IV of fluids, and a small amount of Barium, which is supposed to coat his intestines and help him feel like eating so that hopefully whatever is blocking can pass through. I was supposed to give him a little more of the medicine this afternoon, which he threw up almost immediately, and then more this evening, which so far he has kept down. I still have a bit more to give him. He ate a little bit of wet food warmed up tonight, more than he has eaten the past 2 days. I'm encouraged by that, and hoping that he doesn't throw it up. I'm wondering how long does it take for something like this to pass through? I'm just hoping that he doesn't have to have surgery!

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.
If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment