Thursday 10 November 2011

About Cats: Adopt a Senior in November

If you can't see this email, click here

About.com

Cats

Cat Basics

Health & Behavior

Photos & Forums



From Franny Syufy, your Guide to Cats

Today's newsletter is a mixed bag of hopefully helpful advice, and a couple of pleas to help cats.

By the time next week's issue comes out, I will be in the process of moving with my son and four cats over 100 miles away to a brand new way of life. Have a wonderful week and cuddle a cat regularly. It's remarkable therapy for both of you.

Facebook | Twitter


Adopt a Senior Cat in November

Petfinder is once again sponsoring Adopt a Senior Pet Month for November.

It's not too early to open up your home and heart to a senior cat. If you are looking for the kinds of benefits only a senior cat can offer, head toward your local shelter in the near future, and by Thanksgiving, both you and your new "old" cat will both have cause to rejoice. Pictured here is Raleigh, who was a cherished housemate of HOSTPat, and beloved by all the forum members who came to know her there. This photo of Raleigh appeared in the Joy of Senior Cats Show & Tell Gallery. Learn more about the benefits of adopting a senior cat.
Photo © HOSTPat

Read the Stories | Share Your Senior Cat


Go in Peace, Little Blacky

A few days ago I had a voice mail message from a neighbor, telling me that his little black cat was gone - hit by a car and left to die by the side of the road. The little cat's name was not Blacky, but that's what we called him when he came regularly to visit us. He was a sweet, affectionate little guy, just as his mother was, before she, too was killed by a passing car two years ago. I have no doubt that my neighbor and his wife loved Blacky, as he sounded heartbroken in his message, and again when I talked to him today. However, neither Blacky nor his mother had been allowed inside the house, to my knowledge. They were fed and appeared healthy and well-cared for, but. . .read more


How to Protect Outdoor Cats in Cold Weather

Question: How can I protect a stray cat from the cold outdoor weather?

"I love cats and kept quite a few of them before I developed an allergy to them. My question now is, should I adopt the completely outdoor cat my neighbors left behind when they moved recently? I feed him and spend petting time with him on my porch but I can't let him in because of my allergy. He's a really nice cat, attractive and affectionate. Where would he go to get out of cold and/or wet weather? I'm thinking about adding a cat door to my garage, but will he be ok in the meantime? Does anyone know what cats do for shelter when they are fending for themselves?" Read my reply to this timely seasonal question.


Why You Should Hire a Professional Pet Sitter for your Cats

When my son and I planned a long-needed short getaway several weeks ago, I was faced with a dilemma: what to do with our four cats while we were gone? We could leave them in a veterinary hospital's boarding facility. However, being thrust into a strange and noisy environment filled with other pets would only exacerbate their stress at having us suddenly gone.
Photo Credit: © Franny Syufy

A friend told me about a woman she worked with who is also a professional pet sitter. After my experience with her, I highly recommend using a professional pet sitter whether you have to leave your cats overnight, or for a week or more. It's well worth the peace of mind, and in my case, it cost much less than I had expected.


 


Cats Ads
Featured Articles
Cat Picture of the Week: Sonsy
Getting Your First Cat
Cat Breeds
Cat Care
Kitten Care
Feline Behavior and Training

 

More from About.com

2011's Cutest Winter Boots
Snuggly snow boots are essential for women who live in cold climates, but still want to put their best foot forward. More>



10 Budget Work Essentials
Figuring out how to pay for a fabulous work wardrobe can be a challenge. These 10 mix-and-max essentials are all under $50. More>




This newsletter is written by:
Franny Syufy
Cats Guide
Email Me | My Blog | My Forum
 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About Cats newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
249 West 17th Street
New York, NY, 10011

© 2011 About.com
 


Must Reads
7 Free Cats Email Courses
10 Top Mistakes of Cat Owners
Cat Behavior 101
80 Ways to Share Cat Pictures
Cat Years

Advertisement

No comments:

Post a Comment