Thursday 18 July 2013

About Cats: What's That Stink?

If you can't see this email, click here

About

Cats

Cat Basics

Health & Behavior

Photos & Forums



From Franny Syufy, your Guide to Cats

You're voting, and I'm listening. So far, the top wants and needs for new cat content are Behavior, Health, Senior Cats, and our Bond With Cats, so look forward to new articles on those topics in coming months.

Yesterday I received a warning from a prominent veterinary hospital that a severe heat wave will be sweeping across the U.S. Just a heads up, so that you can help your cats keep cool. It should go without saying to keep them indoors, if at all possible.

Connect With Franny
Facebook | Twitter | Google +


Cat Picture of the Week: Meka

In July we celebrate calico cats, and Meka, featured in our Cat Picture of the Week, is a stunning example of that color pattern.

Photo of calico cat Meka

Meka, now nine years old, was adopted by Kris when she was a 12 week old kitten. Kris describes Meka as somewhat of a diva, in that she wants what she wants when she wants it, and is not afraid to demand it vocally. This trait is easily forgiven, in that Meka is also a very loving cat, and adores being held and kissed. You can share your own calico cat's story along with two photos in the Calico Cats Show and Tell Gallery on this website.

Search Related Topics:  cat pictures of the week  calico cats 

Pardon the Expression: Anal Glands in Cats

Awhile ago, I received an email question from a reader with the subject title: "My Cat Stinks - Help!" Before I even read the email, I had an inkling of the nature of the problem. You see, cats' anal glands secrete one of the most noxious, smelliest substances in existence.

If I had to make a choice, I'd rather have a cat rub skunk excretions on me than the stuff that comes out of his anal glands. Essence of anal glands could clear a rioting crowd quicker than tear gas. I've often thought that anal gland secretions were the inspiration for ... Read more

Search Related Topics:  cats anal glands  skunk odor on cats  veterinary care

Top Cat Videos on About.com
The About.com Video Team uses professional video producers to provide a visual supplement to About.com Cats content. Covered are topics such as help with litter box problems or dangerous hairballs, "how to" videos, such as how to create a flea trap using material found around the house. and informational videos such as videos about various breeds of cats. Most videos include a written transcript underneath the video window, for ready reference. These are the current most popular cat videos on my site.
Search Related Topics:  cat videos  pregnant cats  litter box matters

Cat Breed of the Week: Domestic Cats

Domestic cats have always been my favorite breed, and all but one of the scores of cats who have been family members over the past five decades have been domestic cats (whether you call them alley cats, house cats, mixed breed, or moggies).

Billy, pictured here, is the youngest of my boys at ten, but in his mind, he is the king of the castle. "Humble" is not a word in Billy's catabulary. Is he spoiled? You bet. Does he appreciate it? I suspect he considers it his just due, and I wholeheartedly agree. I believe that all cats deserve to be spoiled, whether they be the finest champion Persians to the scrawniest alley cat.
Photo Credit: © Franny Syufy

The vast majority of my readers seem to share my love for domestic cats, judging by my emails and to various opportunities for photo Show and Tell on my site. We're in good company, folks.


 


Related Searches
Featured Articles
Cats for Beginners
Cat Health
Litter Box Essentials
Spay & Neuter
Bonding With Cats
Pregnancy - Mating

 

More from About.com

Run Your First 5K
Even couch potatoes can be ready for a 5K with just a couple months of training. Read more...>



Help! I'm Too Busy
Time and stress management tips to help you feel as though you have more time. Read more...>




This newsletter is written by:
Franny Syufy
Cats Guide
Email Me | My Blog | My Forum
 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About.com Cats newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About.com respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
1500 Broadway, 6th Floor
New York, NY, 10036

© 2013 About.com
 


Must Reads
Cat Behavior 101
10 Top Mistakes of Cat Owners
Cat Years
Is Your Cat in Heat?
Your Kitten's First Year
 
Follow me on:
Facebook Twitter

Advertisement

No comments:

Post a Comment