Monday 26 September 2011

Cat Channel / Cat Health and Care / All About Cats: Why'd My Kitty Die?! Any Educated Guesses?

Cat Channel / Cat Health and Care / All About Cats
Cat Channel
Why'd My Kitty Die?! Any Educated Guesses?
Sep 26th 2011, 07:11

Hi guys, here's hoping y'all can help give me a sense of closure.

My DSH Angie died in April and I still wonder why. She was 16, obese, spayed with all her shots, and had always been healthy...until the day she disappeared into the cabinet below the sink and did not emerge but to eat and use the bathroom. Before this happened the only thing I noticed different was the small amounts of foamy vomit lying about (just foam, nothing else noticeable). She was sufficiently hydrated, but her energy level was so low she had to lie down and rest after walking five feet from the cabinet to the water bowl. Her breathing was not labored or shallow, and she did not pant.

Angie was my best friend, and we were very close. When we would sleep or relax she would lie with her back against my stomach. I would stroke her gently for hours. When I would watch TV sometimes she would lie on the back of the couch behind me with one paw down touching me. I have had many cats and have loved many cats, but Angie...she was special. She was such a loving, dear, sweet little soul that trusted me implicitly. So when she took to isolating herself I knew it was gonna be bad.

I did not have the money for blood work or a ultrasound. The vet said there was some fluid in her lungs but otherwise she seemed fine. Gradually, however, over a period of about a month Angie became almost completely unresponsive. She was utterly listless. She just laid there on her left side. The last 24 hours she refused food. Her quality of life was hovering between a zero and a double zero. I could not let her suffer.

Anyone have any thoughts on what would take a cat down like that? No noticeable symptoms but for fluid in the lungs, self-imposed isolation, and lying like a stone?

Courtney in Texas (destroyed and broken-hearted still, six months later)

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.
If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment