Thursday 1 March 2012

About Cats: The Mating Game, Urine Spraying, Sad News

If you can't see this email, click here

About.com

Cats

Cat Basics

Health & Behavior

Photos & Forums



From Franny Syufy, your Guide to Cats

My heart is heavy this week from the news about Caboodle Ranch in Florida. While our bond with cats is the magnet that brings us together, reporting unpleasant news is a necessary part of my job, too. The arrest of the owner this large outdoor sanctuary and the rounding up of hundreds of cats is controversial at best. Readers' opinions run the gamut in the comments. I can only pray for the poor cats who suffer the greatest loss.


The Mating Game: Mating and Conception in Cats

Kitten season, which is dreaded by TNR people, is coming soon. One way to slow the influx of new kittens, who increase the likelihood that older cats will remain homeless, is to spay and neuter our own pets. If your female kitten is starting to act friendlier than usual, if she has access to the outdoors, or you have whole male cats, you'll likely end up with a litter of kittens in about nine weeks, give or take a day or two.
Photo Credit: © iStock Photo

Like other cat advocates, I strongly urge that pet female cats be spayed as early as possible, for a number of reasons. Learn more about mating in cats and why it is so important to spay and neuter cats.

See More About:  cat sex  spay and neuter cats  cats in heat

FAQs About Readers' Choice Awards Voting
Based on questions I've received by email, I've created answers to some of the most common ones: FAQ: How often can I vote? Answer:Each user can vote once a day in each... Read more

Help me Stop my Cat Spraying Urine

Question: My husband and I were on a week-long vacation, the first time we've left our cat, Jimmy, since we adopted him six months ago. We did have Lisa, a close friend, stay with him while we were gone, because we didn't want to board him in a kennel.

The minute we returned home, it was obvious that something was wrong. There was a very strong scent of urine all over the house. I am desperate for any information on how to remove urine stains from my rug as well as ways to keep this kind of incident from happening again. Can you help me?

This was a complicated situation, which required a complex reply. Read my detailed advice with this cat urine spraying problem.

More About Cats' Urine Spraying Problems

Urine Spraying Success Story
Why do cats spray urine?
Why Are my Neutered Cats Spraying?


Caboodle Ranch Shut Down, Owner Arrested

The ASPCA announced Monday that, at the request of the Madison County FLA Sheriff's Office and the Madison County Animal Control, it had stepped in to rescue hundreds of cats in the sanctuary called Caboodle Ranch, and the owner has been arrested with multiple felony animal cruelty charges pending. The ASPCA stated that this is the largest number of cats that group has ever removed from one location in an animal cruelty investigation.

Reports divulge that numerous complaints had been received about the conditions of the sanctuary, and that PeTA had conducted an investigation, videotaping the cats.

This is not the first time Caboodle Ranch has been featured on my Website. In April of 2009, I featured Caboodle Ranch's Blog, "A Day at the Ranch," as my Cat Blog of the Week. Caboodle Ranch's Website also has a list of YouTube Videos which show a lot about the lives of the cats at Caboodle Ranch and the condition of those cats.

I have to say that I have omitted the link to the video footage on the PeTA Website. I could only bear to watch it for a few moments. . .learn more


 


Cats Ads
Featured Articles
Cat Picture of the Week: Samantha
Cat Breed of the Week: Exotic Shorthair
Care of a Pregnant Cat
Cat Care
Kitten Care
Cat Health Concerns

 

More from About.com

Top 10 Skin Myths
How do you know the information and advice you get about your skin is true? Start with this article, which debunks some of the the most persistent myths out there. More>



Learn a New Hobby
Are you thinking about taking up a new hobby? From chess to painting to birdwatching, this comprehensive list provides a wide variety of options, to suit all sorts of interests. More>




This newsletter is written by:
Franny Syufy
Cats Guide
Email Me | My Blog | My Forum
 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About Cats newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
249 West 17th Street
New York, NY, 10011

© 2012 About.com
 


Must Reads
Readers' Choice Awards Finalists Voting
Is Your Cat in Heat?
10 Top Mistakes of Cat Owners
Cat Behavior 101
Cat Years
 
Follow me on:
Facebook Twitter

Advertisement

No comments:

Post a Comment