Thursday 10 October 2013

About Cats: Cats' Blood Tests, Midwifing Kittens' Birth

If you can't see this email, click here

About

Cats

Cat Basics

Health & Behavior

Photos & Forums



From Franny Syufy, your Guide to Cats

This is a brand new newsletter format and I pray it will display correctly. If it doesn't, I'll be one of the first to know. If you are as concerned about your cats' health as I am, my new article on Cats' Blood Tests might help you wade through the meanings of those "values" your veterinarian looks at, while considering diagnosis and treatment.

You'll likely see at least one or more new reviews next week, and a black cat or two for lovers of parlor panthers. While waiting, give your cat some big love, no matter what his or her color.

Connect With Franny

Facebook | Twitter | Google + | Free Newsletters

 


Cats' Blood Tests

Lately, I've had a number of blood tests done for Jaspurr, who has been diagnosed as hyperthyroid last month, and wondered why my vet hadn't seem concerned about some of the higher than normal results. I decided to investigate further, and share with my readers all I could learn about cats' blood tests.

Although I was familiar with some of the values in blood tests from past experience, I only knew that those which were either higher or lower than the reference range were of concern. But numbers like a high Amylase or Lipase value were beyond my ken. I hope the information I unearthed from experts such as Dr. Arnold Plotnick will help my readers.
Photo Credit: © Franny Syufy

 

Search Related Topics:  cat health issues  cat diseases  feline diabetes

Helping Mother Cat Give Birth

If your mother cat (technically known as "Queen) is about to give birth, you may be required to serve as a kitten midwife. This article will give you the information you'll need, should that necessity arise.

Symptoms of impending birth may involve "nesting," pacing, or incessant grooming of her genitals.Planning ahead and knowing your role should problems arise, will ease the birth process for both you and your cat.

More About Cat Pregnancy and Birth

 


7 Facts About Black Cats

Did you know that black cats are NOT considered unlucky universally? That one recognized cat breed was created intentionally to resemble a black "parlour panther?" I invite you to read my article, 7 Facts About Black Cats, to learn more about these mysterious ebony creatures.

Indeed, people who love black cats are legion, and if put to the test, they will be able to give you dozens of reasons why black cats are the best cats as home companions.

If you fall into that CATegory, you'll have plenty of opportunity to do so, with our Show and Tell form on "Why I Love Black Cats."

 

Search Related Topics:  black cats  cats in the middle ages  black cat lore

Cat Picture of the Week: Algebra

Our first Cat Picture of the Week is a little late this week, but I think you'll agree it was worth the wait when you see her.

Photo of black cat Algebra
photo © Guest, Victoria

I have no idea how Algebra got her name. However, she seems to have done her math and discovered the formula for wrapping Victoria around her sleek black paw. Although she is only three months old, Algebra has already unfolded a wealth of talents.

 



Related Searches
Featured Articles
Cat Breed of the Week: Siberian
Cats for Beginners
Cat Care
Behavior / Training
Health Concerns
Cat Food and Nutrition

 

More from About.com

Run Your First 5K
Even couch potatoes can be ready for a 5K with just a couple months of training. Read more...>



Help! I'm Too Busy
Time and stress management tips to help you feel as though you have more time. Read more...>




This newsletter is written by:
Franny Syufy
Cats Guide
Email Me | My Blog | My Forum
 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About.com Cats newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About.com respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
1500 Broadway, 6th Floor
New York, NY, 10036

© 2013 About.com
 


Must Reads
11 Wildlife Dangers to Cats
Is Your Cat in Heat?
10 Top Mistakes of Cat Owners
Cat Behavior 101
Cat Years
 
Follow me on:
Facebook Twitter

Advertisement

No comments:

Post a Comment