Thursday 12 September 2013

About Cats: Our Passions About Cats

If you can't see this email, click here

About

Cats

Cat Basics

Health & Behavior

Photos & Forums



From Franny Syufy, your Guide to Cats

As I hinted last week, our feature article today is about our passions about cats. My passions are reflected in my writing, and are the driving force behind my continuing to write.

We've had a bit of a setback in our cats' health, and will make many trips to our vet before we can relax a bit. It's all worthwhile though for we are among many here who live for our own cats.

Connect With Franny:
Facebook | Twitter | Google + | Free Newsletters


Our Passions for Cats' Welfare

A chance visit to a cats forum discussion made me start thinking about our passions about cats. I know not everyone shares my opinions about which topics are more important. In fact on any given day one of mine may become more important to me than the one previously on my mind.

Photo of an Indoor Cat Looking at One Outside
photo © Franny Syufy

Since I saw another bear in our yard the other night after midnight, my concerns have changed again to keeping cats indoors, and I wish our neighbors would too. My own cats go out on our deck twice a day for about an hour each time. At 25 to 30 feet above ground, they are safe there.

Others of my passions include senior cats, and shelter cat adoptions. Read more about my passions about cats, and you will be invited to add yours.

Search Related Topics:  spay and neuter cats  cat shelters  cat euthanization

My Third Hyperthyroid Cat: Jaspurr

This past Wednesday, we took Jaspurr to our veterinary clinic for a checkup, with several requests. Jaspurr, who weighed in last year at twenty-three pounds, had apparently lost a lot of weight. Although, his torso and flabby tummy made him look fat as ever, I had thought the slender appearance of his lower abdomen was the result of his arthritis. Recently, however, because he was still eating constantly, I had concern that he might be hyperthyroid.

Also, because I had read in several sources that hyperthyroid disease could be hereditary, and Jaspurr's littermate, Joey, had been treated for it in the Summer of 2011.

I asked my veterinarian for a complete CBC, with a full thyroid panel, including...learn more


Should we switch from clumping litter?

Question: My friend's cat is sick with kidney problems and she has been doing some research on causes of kidney problems in cats. She came across an article that is very interesting regarding clumping kitty litter. Have you ever heard of the clumping litter causing problems and if so, why isn't this more widely known? We have always used the clumping litter for our cats. Should we change to a different type of litter? What do you suggest?

The clumping clay controversy is a very old one by now, and my reply gives this reader's question the details she needs to make a decision. Certainly, I don't want to take chances with my own cats, who are almost all now within the age definition of "senior cats." On the other hand, I have in the past, and will in the future, used clumping clay products for a specific purpose. An example is Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter, which is useful in retraining cats to the litter box after a period of "out of the box" misses.

Search Related Topics:  clumping clay litter  cat litter choices  cat health

Cat Picture of the Week: Molly

Molly, a lovely possible Maine Coon mix of eight to 10 years old, is our second Cat Picture of the Weekfor September, 2013.

Photo of senior cat Molly
photo © About.com Member AnnaCWood

Anna describes Molly as her "velcro kitty," because of her need to be near Anna. Molly was rescued from a sad situation, and is slowly getting over her trust issues after a year in Anna's home. Molly loves to play with catnip mice, and to watch the birds on the patio. Read more of Molly's story, then consider submitting your own senior cat to our show and tell gallery.

Search Related Topics:  cat pictures of the week  senior cats  cat rescue


Related Searches
Featured Articles
Breed of the Week: Ragdoll
New to Cats?
Feline Behavior
Cat Care
Kitten Care
You and Your Cat

 

More from About.com

Run Your First 5K
Even couch potatoes can be ready for a 5K with just a couple months of training. Read more...>



Help! I'm Too Busy
Time and stress management tips to help you feel as though you have more time. Read more...>




This newsletter is written by:
Franny Syufy
Cats Guide
Email Me | My Blog | My Forum
 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About.com Cats newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About.com respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
1500 Broadway, 6th Floor
New York, NY, 10036

© 2013 About.com
 


Must Reads
11 Wildlife Dangers to Cats
Top Mistakes by Cat Owners
Is Your Cat in Heat?
Cat Behavior 101
Cat Years
 
Follow me on:
Facebook Twitter

Advertisement

No comments:

Post a Comment