Thursday 7 March 2013

About Cats: End of Life Decisions

If you can't see this email, click here

About

Cats

Cat Basics

Health & Behavior

Photos & Forums



From Franny Syufy, your Guide to Cats

Today's offering includes a topic which is uncomfortable for all of us, but essential to know in advance. I've balanced it with another piece designed to bring a smile back. Much more in store for March, and here's a recap from February in case you missed one:

Have a wonderful week and make every day Hug Your Cat Day!

Connect With Franny

Facebook | Twitter | Free Newsletter


Making End of Life Decisions for Your Cat

Photo of tabby cat Bubba It is heartbreaking to have to decide whether or not to let your cat go when he or she is very sick or critically injured. These end of life decisions are the hardest we'll ever have to face.

I had to make that decision for my Bubba, pictured here. Although the writing was on the wall, I delayed too late, and a thrown blood clot made Bubba's last day alive a nightmare for both of us.

I'll never forgive myself for delaying, but armed with that memory and the knowledge I've obtained from researching for this article, the next time I intend to make the right decision in a timely manner. I hope my readers will also gain the knowledge needed to make your own cats' end of life decision when the time comes.


If Pets Had Thumbs Day
Who in the heck dreamed up "If Pets Had Thumbs Day?" I don't really care, but when I received the monthly e-newsletter from Catalyst Council today, my only thought was... Read more
Search Related Topics:  polydactyl cats  cat humor 

Help Convert a Reluctant Lap Cat

A follower on my Facebook Page asked me about training his new adopted cat to be a lap kitty. He wrote:

"I have a question? I have a new cat. She is 3 years old, [and I] saved her from the shelter. She is so sweet. But is there a way to train a cat to be a lap kitty? She is ok when you hold her but does not like sitting on my lap. How do you make a kitty a lap kitty?"

My reply: "It's not easy to train an adult cat to do something she's reluctant to do. Just as some cats are not comfortable being hugged, some just don't like to sit on laps. You don't know what her...read more.

Search Related Topics:  new cat  shelter cat adoption  how we love cats

Cat Picture of the Week: Urrow

photo of tabby cat, Urrow
Image © Guest, Mesila

As soon as I saw Urrow's photographs, I knew she was destined to be a Cat of the Week in March. Reading her remarkable story clinched the decision for me, starting with the series of calendar date coincidences which led to Urrow's adoption by Mesila. Urrow has such an unusual coloration that I can't recall ever having seen it before in a tabby cat, a combination of red and gray in her striped pattern. It's as if Mother Nature combined the best of both worlds in designing her: the tabby stripes of the oldest cat color pattern, and the hues of the tortoiseshell, the most colorful of those patterns.

Read more of Urrow's story, and learn how you can submit your own tabby cat's photos and story.


 


Related Searches
Featured Articles
Cat Breed of the Week: Bombay
Cat Care
Kitten Care
Feline Behavior / Training
Cat Food and Nutrition
Cat Health Concerns

 

More from About.com

The Perfect Engagement Ring
How to find a gorgeous ring with a style and price that suit your needs. Read more...>



Best U.S. Destinations
Experts pick the top U.S. destinations for 2013 based on budget, special events, and more. Read more...>




This newsletter is written by:
Franny Syufy
Cats Guide
Email Me | My Blog | My Forum
 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About.com Cats newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About.com respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
1500 Broadway, 6th Floor
New York, NY, 10036

© 2012 About.com
 


Must Reads
11 Wildlife Dangers to Cats
Top Mistakes by Cat Owners
Is Your Cat in Heat?
Cat Behavior 101
Cat Years
 
Follow me on:
Facebook Twitter

Advertisement

No comments:

Post a Comment